If you are not confident at installing the grass yourself or your installation area is greater than 25sqm, we highly recommend using a SYNLawn Certified Installation Professional. Large installations can be very labour-intensive and often require specialised skills. Contact SYNLawn on 1300 796 529 to find your nearest Installation Professional. We have Professionals available Australia-wide.
Before installing your SYNLawn artificial grass, make sure you have all the equipment required, as listed:
Specialty Tools Needed
- Everseal adhesive tape (5LM or 250LM)
- 150mm flat head nails or landscape pegs
- Turf rake (for bristle fibers)
- Sand spreader
- Vibrating plate (hire)
- Dried silicon sand
Commonly Tools Needed
- Stanley knife
- Yard rake
- Tape measure
- Wide shop broom
Regular Artificial Grass Installation
Following these steps to install your SYNLawn artificial grass, will give you a beautiful, green and worry-free lawn for years to come.
Prepare the base
Excavate the area to a depth of 80mm. Lay 80mm of crushed rock/road base and compact it with a vibrating plate. The level of crushed rock/road base when
compacted should be 15-20mm below “finished height” of surrounding edging/paving.
Trim to size
Lay your artificial grass, making sure you start from one edge and roll out. Cut the over-hanging quantities with a sharp stanley knife. Remove the “salvage” or black strip from both sides of the grass. This cannot be used to join the grass.
Glue together seams
When joining rolls of grass together, be sure to use Everseal adhesive tape along the seams. Lay the silver backing of tape down on the crushed rock/ base with the white side facing up. Place the two pieces of grass onto the tape, with each edge placed evenly in the centre of the tape. Remember to put pressure onto the seams once the grass has been joined to promote good adhesion.
Secure in place
Once you have covered the complete area, nail all of the perimeters down at 500mm intervals using flat head nails or landscape pegs.
Groom your grass
Using a sand spreader, top dress the grass with an even distribution of dried silica sand fill to a depth of 15-20mm. A yard broom can be used at this stage to sweep
in the sand evenly and to also brush the grass blades straight.
- Do not attempt to lift the grass by yourself. It is advised that the rolls be cut into manageable lengths before moving.
- Always run grass in the same direction.
- Refer to the Product Specification sheet for recommended amount of infill required.
- This installation information has been supplied as a reference guide only. SYNLawn Warranties do not cover installation.
SYNlawn Hybrid is a synthetic turf system which cleverly integrates with natural grass to create a dynamic hybrid that looks and feels like natural grass, but with far superior durability. This hybrid grass is the perfect grass reinforcement solution. Follow or download these easy installation instructions.
1. Measure and mark out the area you wish to cover with SYNLawn Hybrid. Allow for the SYNLawn Hybrid to be pushed into the soil 10mm deep around the edges.
2. If you are installing:
a). Over existing natural grass – then remove weeds and foreign grasses. Mow the grass as low as possible (20mm is ideal or otherwise put the mower on lowest level).
b). Over new natural grass – roll out the new turf in the area as required (Photo 1).
3. Roll out the SYNLawn Hybrid over the area. Cut to size with a good pair of scissors (Photo 2).
4. SYNLawn Hybrid will align itself with the natural contours of the ground. If the surface is uneven then top dress the area 50/50 sand/ soil mix.
5. Cut into the edge of the area with a spade or bed knife. Push the SYNLawn Hybrid 10mm into the soil to secure it (Photo 3). Start from the middle and work your way out towards the ends. Make sure you have good tension on the SYNLawn Hybrid. Work down one side first then stretch it in place on the other side.
6. Use a hammer and Biodegradable pegs to anchor the edges and secure it in place. Place pegs in the centre of the area at 5m intervals
7. If you are joining 2 pieces of SYNLawn Hybrid you can do so by either using cable ties, stitching the material together or just pushing both pieces into the soil side-by-side (Photo 5).
8. Top dress the final area with sand and then give it a water.
9. As the grass grows through the SYNLawn Hybrid you can continue with regular lawn maintenance, however, avoid mowing the lawn too short. It is best to keep your grass a little longer to help with the high traffic.